Gojko describes his tool with the following text:
“Bug Magnet provides convenient access to common problematic values and edge cases, so you can keep them handy and access them easily during exploratory testing sessions. Just right-click an input field!”
The tool provides the following features
- Lorems | Text in different charsets and languages
- Text size | With or without white spaces
- Names | Different names like NULL or Chloë Rømer
- E-Mail addresses | Valid or non valid addresses
- Numbers | Large numbers
- Whitespace | Leading white spaces, tabs or newlines
- Format exploits | SQL injection or broken HTML
The tool is open source and can be easily extended with your own testing ideas. I already like the tool because it provides easy and useful test cases that you have to check on every form and input field of a web application. It is also a very good reminder of things like white spaces, charsets and format exploits. However, the tool has two limitations. The first one is, that it is a Chrome Extension so it works only with Chrome. The second limitation is that it works on multi-frame pages but only if they are on the same web domain.
Bug Magnet is a must testing extension for your Chrome Browser.
Gojko Adzic blog post about Bug Magnet: http://gojko.net/2015/01/03/introducing-bug-magnet-an-exploratory-testing-helper/
Chrome Extension on GitHub: http://gojko.github.io/bugmagnet/