Yesterday (13. June 2014), the preliminary software testing world cup competition took place for Europe. To summarize it in one sentence, “It was awesome and a good experience for software testers“.
The software that should be tested was http://stwc.salestool-demo.appspot.com/. We had the goal to test this application on as many as possible mobile devices with different screen sizes for usability, functionality and design. Out of scope during the session was load and performance testing. Also security testing had a low priority.
I was part of a distributed team within Europe, one guy was sitting in Barcelona, one in Hamburg, one in Düsseldorf and in Wiesbaden. We organized us via Google Docs and a Google Hangout session during the competition. One person (me), was listening to the live youtube channel, where the judges were answering questions from the teams and to inform my team with important information. Each of us had a special test task, where to focus on. We focused on the usability, functionality, design and some security testing.
We tested the application on iPads (mini), iPhones and on different Android devices.
In total we filed 38 bugs in the provided defect management tool. 15 of the filed bugs where critical ones. As an example, we where able to access sensitive data of snapshots and account settings from one of my team member. Other than that, there where lots of cross site scripting problems in the application.
9 of the filed bugs had a high priority, e.g. it was very easy to create internal server errors on the application backend by entering special characters to the input fields. 11 bugs had the severity medium and 3 low.
During the test session we talked a lot about the current status of each team member to get a impression of the application and its problems. While testing the application, everyone in the team was very focused, but nonetheless we had lots of fun and were laughing a lot.
The time was flying very fast and in the last 30 minutes we focused on your test report. We described our testing approach, our test setup, our findings and a recommendation for the application (well, that recommendation was not so good 😉 ).
In total 3169 bugs from 250 teams were filed, that is an average of 12.676 bugs per team.
Overall, we had a good feeling about our results and the test session. We were very happy with the results.
Right before 9 p.m., we sent our bug reports and the final test report to the judges. And then the STWC2014 was over! It was fun and awesome to work on the distributed team, to test an application under time pressure!
We are really looking forward to the results and we hope to be part of the final teams, of course ;).
Thanks to the judges and everyone who was involved into planning this event!