While attending the first CMAP (Certified Mobile App Professional) course in germany, I stumbled up on “I SLICED UP FUN” by Jonathan Kohl. Jonathan created a mnemonic for mobile app testing and named it “I SLICED UP FUN”. This mnemonic should help you to generate test ideas especially for mobile apps.
Here is a short look at the mnemonic. The complete pdf can be downloaded from Jonathans page.
I: Inputs into the device
- Built-in keyboard/keypad
- Touch screen gestures and typing
- Synching with other devices
- Submission specifications
- Development guide
- User guide for error handling, location services, permissions for user privacy items, accessibility, etc.
- Geo-location errors
- Movement, stopping suddenly
- Connection issues due to interference
I: Interactions/ Interruptions
- Running multiple applications, utilizing multitasking
- Using other applications, then using the application you are testing(email, calendar, texting, note taking, others)
- Notifications appear
- Small screens can be hard on the eyes
- A small device means there is no ergonomic help from a desk, or chair – you often hunch over to interact with it
- It’s not uncommon to get a sore back, fingers, eyes when using a device for any length of time
- Types of input – special characters, different languages, etc
- Media – see if the app depends on an outside source to play music, videos or anything else
- Size of files – if the application uses outside files, try using different file types
- Note and log any issues that make you uncomfortable, frustrated, angry, or upset while using the app
- Windows Phone
- Can you identify everything that the application does?
- Have you worked through all the aspects of the app? Clicked every button? Filled in every form?
- Try a tour of the product to identify everything it does.
U: User Scenarios
- How is this application supposed to be used?
- What problems does it solve for users?
- What are the goals of end users that this application helps them solve?
- Wireless broadband
- Dead spots
You can download the mnemonic here. What is your approach when testing a mobile app? Looking forward to see some comments.
By Daniel Knott